Unplanned pregnancies constitute a large number of pregnancies in the U.S. If you are facing an unexpected pregnancy, the feelings of urgency and anxiety are normal and valid.
Ordering the abortion pill online after a telehealth consultation may seem discreet and convenient. Still, it is essential to research before making a final decision, so you are aware of potential risks.
Read this article for more information about the possible risks of the abortion pill and the other available pregnancy options.
Ordering Online Skips Important Health Screenings
One of the most significant downsides of ordering an abortion pill online is that you skip routine health screenings such as an ultrasound.
This important scan gives you essential details such as the pregnancy’s gestational age, location, and status.
Age is important because this can determine your eligibility for the abortion pill since the medication abortion is only FDA-approved up to 10 weeks of gestational age.
The location of a pregnancy can determine whether or not it is ectopic. If an ultrasound reveals the pregnancy is outside the uterus, this should be treated immediately since this can rupture the Fallopian tube and cause internal bleeding.
As many as 26% of all pregnancies end in miscarriage. Knowing the viability of the pregnancy will let you know all of your health options.
You May Not Qualify for the Abortion Pill
According to the Mayo Clinic, there are several situations where you may be ineligible for an abortion pill. These include if you:
- Are too far along in your pregnancy
- Have an intrauterine device (IUD) currently in place
- Have a suspected pregnancy outside of the uterus
- Have certain medical conditions
- Take a blood thinner or certain steroid medicines
- Can’t make follow-up visits to your provider or don’t have access to emergency care
- Have an allergy to the medication used
Ultrasounds can help identify if you are too far along in your pregnancy or if you have a pregnancy outside of the uterus (an ectopic pregnancy).
The Abortion Pill Comes with Risks
According to the Mayo Clinic, potential risks of medical abortion include:
- Incomplete abortion, which may need to be followed by surgical abortion
- An ongoing unwanted pregnancy if the procedure doesn’t work
- Heavy and prolonged bleeding
- Digestive system discomfort
Every woman deserves to feel confident in her pregnancy decision. Through compassionate support and evidence-based education, the Pregnancy Resource Center of Athens County is here to support you on your pregnancy journey.
Contact us today to schedule an appointment!